I love donuts. A lot. I’m a foodie and I have no shame when it comes to unhealthy foods like burgers, chips, or other things fried in lots of oil. But I know that things fried in a full bath of hot oil is very dangerous for our health, so I like to bake the food when it is possible. As long as it tastes as good as the fried ones, or even better – bring it on oven!
I found this baked donuts recipe on foodnetwork and decided to give it a try. I kinda made it my own recipe, because I didn’t respect the recipe entirely, as you will see below.
What you will need for the baked donuts recipe
- 500 grams of whole purpose flour;
- 100 grams of sugar (granulated or powdered, you choose – although I recommend powdered);
- 50 grams of butter (soft – at room temperature);
- 200 ml of milk;
- 1 egg;
- 1 tbsp of vanilla extract;
- 10 grams of dried yeast.
1. Start by mixing together your dry ingredients: flour, dried yeast and sugar.
2. Warm up a little the milk and add the vanilla extract, the butter and the egg. Mix well together until the egg is well incorporated in the liquid mixture.
3. Add the liquid mixture to the dry ingredients and mix until a soft, fluffy, non-sticky dough is formed.
4. Cover the dough with a clean kitchen towel and let it rest for 30 – 45 mins, in a warm spot, until it doubled its volume.
5. Take your dough out and roll it out until it gets about half of a centimeter thick.
6. Use two round cookie cutters to cut your donuts perfectly round. Or you can use anytime a cup and a bottle cap to cut the donuts round & the hole inside of them.
7. Place them on a baking tray and let them sit for 10 to 15 mins, until they double their volume again.
8. Put them in the oven at medium heat for about 15 minutes. You will notice that they will get golden brown on the bottom, but on top they will remain white. They are baked, don’t worry, but if you want them golden on top as well, just flip them and let them bake on the top side for another 10 minute.
9. Here comes the fun part! The glaze! I used dark, white and milk chocolate to glaze my donuts. You can also eat them plain, they are sweet enough. I melted my chocolate in the microwave, in separate bowls and I dipped in my donuts. Let the donuts completely cool down before you glaze them – if they are still hot, the heat will melt the chocolate on top.
Oh, the coconut donuts! This topping is what dreams are made from (for me)! Dip the donuts into the melted white chocolate and add coconut flakes on top.
For the rest of my donuts, I dipped them into the other melted chocolate types and I added some stripes of a different kind of chocolate. Just go for it: white chocolate & dark chocolate stripes, milk chocolate & dark chocolate dots and so on! You can of course add sprinkles or go a little exotic with it and add some chili flakes on top of the dark chocolate glazed donuts.
Make it vegan!
I’m not into vegan foods, but I know that lots of you out there are! So feel free to substitute the animal origin ingredients (butter, milk, egg) with vegan ingredients such us almond, coconut, or rice milk, gluten-free flour and so on.
I skipped the spices form the original recipe (cinnamon & nutmeg) because I’m not used to spicy donuts and nutmeg is kinda a strong spice for me (I like it only in milk and Bechamel sauce).
Let me know if you try this recipe & how this baked donuts recipe turned out for you! Also please let me know if you tried to make them vegan, I’m really curious to know how they are vegan as well. Don’t forget to check the other recipes around here.
Also follow on: